Healthy Cupcakes: Banana Cupcakes with Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting

The current season is summer, and what does summer mean? Swimsuits. I know I thought the same thing, "EW." Swimsuits mean that you have to be in shape so that you look good in swimsuits. My niche area of baking doesn't exactly have the idea of healthy eating. BUT there are recipes out there that are a lot better for you than some other recipes, and have them still be yummy and delicious. I found this great recipe a couple of years ago on Pinterest, and man was it YUMMY. Here is the recipe and my tips and tricks on how I put my own little twist on it.

Who doesn't love peanut butter and bananas in a cupcake?

Makes 18 Cupcakes
Ingredients:

Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar (I always use light)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature (room temperature is key with eggs)
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (equivalent to 3 extremely ripe bananas)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (I make my own buttermilk)
- 1 cup mink or regular semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used mini)

Milk Chocolate Frosting

- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 T heavy cream or half and half (I used heavy cream)
- 1 tsp vanilla 
- pinch of salt

Peanut Butter Frosting

- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (I used Jiff brand)
- 4 T unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 T heavy cream or half and half (again I used heavy cream)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12 muffin mans with 18 cupcake liners. Set aside.

2. Cupcakes: Using a handheld or stand mixer (I use my Kitchen Aid Mixer). Beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together in a large bowl on medium speed until creamed. About 2-3 minutes. With the mixer running on low speed, add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. (I break the eggs in a separate bowl all together, and then add them to the batter slowly) Add the mashed bananas and vanilla, beating on low speed for about 1 minute.

3. Whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in a medium bowl. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in 3 additions, stirring by hand after each addition. (I don't really do this until the end) Add the milk and stir until combined. The batter will be lumpy. Fold in the chocolate chips. 

4. Spoon the batter evenly into 18 cupcake liners. (I use my pampered chef ice cream scooper) Fill the unused cups one-third full with water to prevent warping. Bake each batch for 17-19 minutes (I did 15 and then watched them), or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting. (I let them sit overnight). 

5. Chocolate Frosting: sift together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder to assure there are no lumps. Set aside. With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium until creamy or about 2 minutes. Gradually add the sifted sugar/cocoa powder alternately with the heavy cream and vanilla. Beat on low speed after each addition. Once all added, beat on high speed until creamy and combined for at least 2 minutes. Add a pinch of salt if frosting is too sweet. 

6. Peanut Butter Frosting: With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the peanut butter and butter on medium speed until creamy and completely smooth or about 3 minutes. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix on medium until combined. Add the cream and mix on high until creamy for at least 2 minutes. Add a pinch of salt if frosting is too sweet. 

7. Frost cooled cupcakes with a knife or a piping bag and tip (I used a piping bag). If you would like to just make 1 kind of frosting and not both, make sure you doubt the frosting recipe of your choice to make sure there is enough for all the cupcakes. If you decide to use both swirl them together or put two piping bags side my side to get a good swirl. Decorate with banana slices and or more chocolate chips if desired. I just did chocolate chips as bananas get gross after awhile as a garnish. 

I hope that you tried these and loved them as much as I do! Let me know if you have any other tips and tricks on them! 

Here is the link if you want the persons tips and tricks on how to make them:
https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2014/03/09/banana-cupcakes-chocolate-peanut-butter-frosting/

Check out this cute mug on my merchandise website: http://www.cafepress.com/emilynscupcakes.68288949

Latest post: https://emilynslifeandcupcakes.blogspot.com/2017/07/10-different-ways-to-revamp-boxed.html






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Different Ways to Revamp Boxed Brownies

Frosting Cupcakes Tips

Reviewing Tequila Sunrise Cupcakes